Evaluation 2 draft completed

Evaluation 2
How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?


When designing my Digi Pack, I used a minimalistic design and appealing aesthetic which had been inspired by my research. This was done through using minimal typography and a clean, effective and streamlined design which connoted an emphasis on minimalistic styling and iconography. This design style carried over into the music video in order to create a brand image. By using slower, restrained editing through slower cuts than conventional music videos the video feels less chaotic and jumpy, creating a clean streamlined video which connotes the same minimal style as the Digi pack, creating brand identity.  I also chose to do this as we had been inspired by artists such as Remo Drive as they had used a similar idea with their music video which I then used this as a subtle cross over to develop the minimalist style seen throughout the main and ancillary products

By using simplistic white typography in the design of my Digi pack I was able to link the pack with the main product and create branding between them. The clean white typography with the clean white shirts worn by the band in the video links back to the design of the Digi pack and adheres to the simplistic visual design of the Digi pack. I decided not future the band in the Digi packs design as it would make it appear too similar to the music video and detracted from them both as standalone products. Instead I used colour and eerie photography to create a similar visual style as the music video. I used a similar font to the one used in the typography of the music video in the design of my Digi pack, which created a sense of branding and connection with our audience. However, I did not use the exact same font as I felt it did not fit with the visual style of the Digi pack and the same branding could be achieved through using a similar font which worked better with the Digi pack. The photos featured in the Digi pack adhere to static long/medium shots used throughout the video. This was done to draw parallels between the main and ancillary product and create a further sense of branding. 
To create a stronger link between products I believe we could of featured the record label’s name and logo in the credits sequence of the video or in the introduction of the video. This would of linked our two products together effectively and reinforced their brand. However, we ultimately chose not to do this, despite it improving the fluidity of the branding, as we all wanted to include different indie record labels on each of our Digi packs and could not decide on a record label we all wanted to use. We also chose to avoid using the labels logo and name because having researched similar music videos within the indie genre such as Remo drive’s “I’m my own doctor” we found that including the logo and label’s name in the video is not necessary and is a genre convention used frequently in the indie genre.
 In my magazine advert I made use of the same eerie photography I had implemented in my Digi Pack to create synergy between the two products, which would help to convey my own branding to my target audience. I also used the same photo editing techniques I had implemented into the photos I included with my Digi pack. This drew a clear link between the two products visually in my target audience’s mind as they both use the same Aesthetic design. 

Comments